Tuesday, October 7, 2008

View From the Top

I will hit the road for Terry MBA Admissions in November, as part of the “Inside the MBA Tour.” UGA will participate in forums in Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, and Atlanta. I will be doing candidate interviews while I’m in North Carolina and would encourage candidates in the Research Triangle area who are unable to come to Athens to schedule an interview with me. (Call Tiffany at 706-542-5671.)

With the big economic meltdown, MBA Admissions Offices around the country are preparing for a tidal wave of applications. What does that mean for you if you’re one of those applicants? If you’re interested in a full-time MBA program, it means a lot of competition for a seat. So it will be to your advantage to find ways to stand out from the crowd. Kerry has posted some terrific tips in her last entry.

Definitely plan on interviewing in person with your top schools. There’s no better way to help Admissions decision-makers get to know you. To prepare, think about stories, preferably from work, when you’ve succeeded, either as an individual or as part of a team, and the opposite, when you’ve failed, and what you learned from that. Interestingly, success is a terrible teacher; we learn much more from failure.

Be prepared to talk about what’s going on in the world. Once they’re a part of Terry, students have told me that I zinged them in the interview. I don’t do that intentionally, but I am interested in how different people see the world and what’s happening around them. So given the events of the week and my previous comment about failure, here’s the question that comes to mind: The governments, people, and economies of the world are poised to learn a gargantuan lesson; what do you think that is? I’d be very interested in your answer!

No comments: